Sunday, August 9, 2009

Went to the Movies - The Proposal

Saw this a while back, but will try to fill you in without any spoilers.

The Proposal (2009)

TIME: 108 Min.

Director: Anne Fletcher

Screenwriter: Pete Chiarillie

Starring: Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds,


Plot: A pushy boss forces her young assistant to marry her in order to keep her Visa status in the U.S. and avoid deportation to Canada.


Review and Questions: The Proposal, like most romantic comedies, was predictable. Hate that you've seen something so many times, you can't even be surprised anymore. Maybe I went in with the wrong attitude to begin with, but it wasn't anything too special. I loved the filming locations and it does have a few redeeming qualities. Some people said that Bullock and Reynolds didn't have good chemistry. They have chemistry, it just doesn't compare to let's say, Hudson and McConaughey in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. (If you haven't seen it, you really should. They have great chemistry.) One thing I must say is that it was a pleasure seeing Betty White on the big screen, although I don't necessarily like her.


Was I hooked the first 15 minutes? Nope. Everything seemed to flow well, but I didn't really want to see this movie.


Did I enjoy the characters? Was the acting good? The characters were occasionally funny and I liked their passion. Might have witnessed some improvisation. The lines were delivered, but no Oscar worthy performances.


How original is it? The plot is somewhat unique. I've never heard of a woman forcing a coworker to marry her so she can stay in the U.S.


Favorite Quotes/Scenes:

If you touch my ass one more time I will cut your balls off in your sleep, okay?

Do you prefer Margaret or "Satan's Mistress"?


Recommend: Anyone who loves chick flicks, even when you already can see the "happy ever after" coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seen this movie, what's your favorite quote or scene? (Please refrain from the use of spoilers) Thank you.